Friday 28th August - Change of plan

Tonight I wasn't planning on watching the badgers as I had other plans (no, I don't watch badgers every night!). However, plans change and I was able to. Another late night at work didn't help matters, but I was at the Barn Owl Centre for about 20:45. It's amazing how dark the nights are getting. Each night I think I'll leave a bit earlier, but I keep arriving at the centre and it's almost dark! Anyway, I'm off down to the hide on my own hoping for a good viewing. Food out and into the hide. I decide to put the net down tonight and do a bit more filming. At about 21:15 a lone badger appears. They are definitely foraging independently now and rarely turn up in a group. He's feeding confidently working his way towards the hide when another badger appears. When I refer to a badger as "he", I don't really know. Telling badgers sexes is not an easy task without, err, checking their bits.They are now getting quite close to the hide. My favourite bit! A third badger appears and joins in the fun. I'm filming the badgers and hopefully getting some good shots. It's not easy when filming as I'm holding the camera in one hand, holding the torch in the other and trying to poke both of these out through the side of the netting without any sudden movements or noise. However, when I manage that, I get shots like you see below. Turn up the sound and listen to the racket they make!



If you would like to share this experience, please visit www.barnowl.co.uk and look under "Events".

No comments:

Post a Comment