Wednesday 9/9/09 - No net again

Off on my own down to the feeding area after a quick hello at the farm. Almost dark again and it's 20:25; later than I would have liked. I get down to the hide without seeing any wildlife and begin spreading the nuts and meat. I have both video and stills  camera here tonight and I decide to sit back in the hide slightly and not to drop the net over the doorway. This will give me excellent views of the feeding area and should be good for some video and pictures. I use a camo "buff" to cover my face up to my eyes and I have my usual hat on with a wide brim. This should stop the badgers seeing our "signature" facial disc which shouts "humans!" to lots of animals. I also use some black gloves to cover my white hands as these can easily be seen if moved around, even in the dark.

I check the time; it's 20:40 and no action yet. Another very pleasant evening although a bit colder than of late and the wind is a north westerly meaning it isn't blowing in my face tonight. I wonder if they will smell me? Another ten minutes goes by, but eventually a solitary badger comes round the corner from the main path. He is soon about three metres out and feeding confidently. I've discarded the gloves by now as I cannot feel the controls on either camera. I have some gloves with removeable fingertips somewhere, I'll have to dig them out. I put the torch on and whilst it is fully charged, I take some video which relies on the illumination of the torch. Nothing special, just a relaxed badger feeding. The badger is now quite close, maybe a metre, and I change to the stills camera. Because I'm sat on my seat, I'm a little higher than when I kneel and I decide to see if I can quietly move from the chair to kneeling by the door. With the badger so close I think I'm going to spook him. He does look up at me, I freeze, he carries on feeding. Phew!

Still only the one badger here, which is unusual, but he's been so close I could have stroked him. I am now whistling and throwing the odd nuts out, but as he's eaten everything I put out, I won't give him too much more. I continue taking some pictures, but eventually the now fairly full badger, I would guess, wanders off into the night. I wander back up to the farm and hear some rustling in the dry ditch on the way up, but see no more badgers,
so only one tonight.

The picture, above right, is taken by holding the camera over the badger. I could have reached down and scratched him behind the ear, if I was that brave!

We have decided to have a public viewing next Tuesday, 15th September. If you are interested, please go to http://www.barnowl.co.uk/ and look under Events and give them a ring.

No feeding or watching tomorrow as I'm off to a gig in Oxford and only feeding on Friday. Hopefully I'll be there Saturday night to see what's about.

No comments:

Post a Comment