Confidence Regained

Haven't posted for a few days due to a very hectic schedule and not very much badger watching.

On Tuesday 21st, my daughter decided to come over to see the badgers again. Although we did see four in front of the hide last night, they weren't very settled and I wondered if it was because a "new scent" was in the air? Would the badgers have got used to my scent already? I would doubt it. Anyway, off we set, usual pattern of events. We quietly sat in the hide and at about 22:15 three badgers came around the corner on the path. This was two smaller animals and one larger and looked like the same three as I'd seen on the first night I saw them. Tonight, they were much more relaxed and were feeding confidently three or four meters away. They fed for a good twenty five minutes, mopping up the peanuts. There is something very relaxing about watching badgers at this range. Sat there in the dark, with a smile on your face and gently moving the spotlight from animal to animal and seeing them relaxed and apparently enjoying themselves.We didn't see any activity on the way back up to the farm.

Wednesday night and this was my last night for a few days due to other commitments. Tonight my wife came along with me and again the usual fears about a "no show". Much the same as Sunday night, nothing had appeared by the 22:15 slot when they can start to appear. Another fifteen minutes and still nothing, but at 22:35, shapes coming around the corner. It looked like another good turn out but until I turned the light on, not sure on numbers. I switched the light on, pointing at the sky, and slowly lowered it onto the feeding animals. Seven again! This was almost identical to Sunday; a later visit, but with good numbers. Tonight was great. Seven badgers all feeding contently and coming quite close to the hide, maybe three meters at the closest. Two larger animals did show some agression between themselves as the nuts were running out. They were making quite a strange noise, a bit like a horse when it does a quiet whinney, if you know what I mean! They faced up to each other a couple of times, but one always backed down, eventually being chased off by the more dominant animal. All interesting stuff, but not for the other badgers who seemed to find every last nut and they quietly ambled off as group back the way they came!

I can't watch the badgers until Sunday now, so hopefully things won't have changed too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment