Wednesday 29/7/09 - Naff Weather

It has rained for most of the day today. Not looking forward to going out in this, but hey, tonight must be better than last night. Got togged up with the waterproofs and wellies only to find that when I go out to the car, it's stopped. Down to the Barn Owl Centre, load up with nuts and raisins, pick up the radio and off to the hide. It's quite dark already and I'm running a little late. On the way to the hide I see a solitary badger on the path. I take an alternative path to avoid the badger, but it sees me and disappears into the hedge. It's about 9:45pm and this is the first time I've seen badgers here before the feed. Into the hide, radio on, but very quiet. I'm worried the radio had something to do with last nights poor showing.Sat there for forty minutes and no sign of life. The hour comes up, still no life. At eleven, feeling very tired and still no badgers, I shut up the hide and head for the farm. Disappointed at my first "no show" I was hoping to see something on the way back up. I didn't see badgers, but noticed some eyeshine watching me. I shine the torch directly at the eyes, but apart from noticing the eyes were further off the ground than the badger, couldn't make out what it was. I squeaked at it, but no response, so I took a few paces towards it. At this point, it turned and ran, but a few steps further on I noticed it was back looking at me. The eyeshine was green, but it's quite exciting being out there in the dark, not knowing what the animal was. I had earlier seen the footage on the BBC re a large cat sighting. I doubt it was anthing more than a fox, but you never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment