The Day After the Night Before

Having had my very surprising, but very welcome success on Saturday night, I couldn't wait for Sunday night to come around. I think at this point it would be good to let you know where this is taking place. As mentioned in my first post, I originally offered my help to sort out the computers at this charity. I admire the work these guys do and it seemed right to volunteer my services. The charity is The Barn Owl Centre. It is a charity which promotes conservation of and education about native birds of prey. Don't let the name put you off, they have many different birds here from Barn Owls, Tawny, Little, Eagle, Long-Eared and Snowy to Buzzards, Harris Hawks, Peregrines, Lanner and Big Ron, the Golden Eagle, amongst many others. It is now being called a Birds of Prey Centre too, for good reason! The site is 12.5 acres and is also a nature reserve with many native birds found onsite including Kestrel, Little Owl, Tawny Owl, Barn Owl, Buzzard and even Red Legged Partridge. Amazingly this site is only two miles from the centre of Gloucester. Please have a look at the website and if you are interested in photography, make sure you check out the Photograpy Days.

Anyway, back to the badgers. I did go over to the Centre on Sunday afternoon to see some birds flying and have a wander around the site during the day to do some detective work as to badgers and their habits. I saw the resident dog fox looking great in the afternoon sunshine between the showers. I didn't really find any conclusive evidence as to where the sett may be, but found several well used pathways. Kestrels, Buzzards and Little Owl were also spotted.



This is a picture of Kaln, one of the stars at The Barn Owl Centre. This shot hopefully shows the fantastic natural habitat here and the natural-looking photographs possible.
Image Copyrighted


Home for tea and back round as it's getting dark and the usual "peanut run". I was inside the hide by about 21:50 and settled down for the wait. The previous night the badgers had been out at about 22:15. This time came and went and no sign of anything. Perhaps it was beginners luck. 22:30 came and went and then out of the darkness I could make several shapes coming around the bend in the path. I waited for a couple of minutes and couldn't believe my eyes. I counted six badgers, all together, coming into the feeding area. I switched on the spotlight and actually there were seven badgers. I was enthralled watching this family unit sniffing, chewing belching, growling and scratching. Seven! They systematically cleared the area of peanuts, the odd squabble taking place. I don't put peanuts right up to the hide, but they contentedly ate peanuts no more than ten feet from me. Eventually they dispersed and the show was over. I heard plenty of movement the undergrowth whilst walking back up to the farm. Both Tawny and Barn Owls were out calling this evening as well. What a night!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there - good to hear of your adventures with the badgers! I don't know what it is, but there is something very impressive about seeing them close up. I still find it strange that we have such big and truly wild animals in the UK.

    Keep up the good work

    BWM

    ReplyDelete