How close?

Following on from my last entry, I had just seen badgers feeding just where I wanted them, but as I entered the hide, they ran off. Anyway, just putting my chair up and about to sit down and one badger was already back out on the peanuts. This was barely two minutes since I had walked past and scared them off. Within a minute, all three badgers were back and noisily snuffling around and chomping peanuts. As it was dark, seeing any detail was a bit tricky so as they were nearing the end of their feast I whistled a few times and also switched on my handheld LED spotlamp. The largest badger immediately looked around at me, but then carried on feeding. The two smaller ones didn't even flinch. So now I had three badgers, a female and two of this years cubs, by the look of it, feeding no more than four metres from me and brightly illuminated by my spotlight. I couldn't believe my luck; watching badgers at close range and seeing every detail of their faces and how, at times, they sit down like a dog. With their short legs, they looked quite comical to say the least!

Anyway, all things must come to an end and in this case the peanuts ran out and the badgers ambled off. Feeling quite good about things I moved the scrim net that covers the door of the hide, put the chair away and started the five minute walk back up to the farm. I hadn't gone far when I came across two badgers moving in the same direction as me and feeding on the odd peanuts I had scattered on the way down to the hide. I stuck my neck out and again used the spotlight. No reaction, phew! I was following them about five metres behind them. What happened next blew me away! One of the badgers turned around and started heading back towards me. Sniffing his way back down the path looking for any missed peanuts, he seemed completely unaware of my presence. Remember, I had a spotlight illuminating him and still he came. Four metres, three, two. Would he bite my leg? Would he suddenly realise I was there and react making me jump? No, he sniffed his way past me no more than three or four feet away. What a buzz! I didn't follow him any further and continued on my way back to the farm. When I told Vince of my success he seemed really pleased, although I'm not sure he believed me at first! I had been putting nuts out for six days and this was the result. Surely it must be beginners luck?

No comments:

Post a Comment